It is known for a long time that players are one of the most demanding groups when it comes to good computer hardware and fast and stable Internet. It should not be surprising that some users who use computers also for entertainment are looking for good VPN games services. In this text we will discuss what a VPN can be useful for online games, in what it can help and what is the best VPN for players.
What is the best VPN for online games?
For the below list, we have selected VPN vendors which are characterized by the fact that they have fast servers, offer a universal service, have been checked by us - and work well. An additional condition was 30 days of unconditional money back guarantee. Thanks to this, you can test the service without hindrance and if we are dissatisfied with it - recover the money.
1. ExpressVPN - 9.27 / 10
- unrivaled connection speed
- free VPN servers located in Warsaw
- 2000+ servers in 95 countries
- use on 3 devices at the same time
- 30-day money back guarantee
- no logs
- good privacy protection
- simple and convenient application
- help via live chat 24/7
ExpressVPN is a great solution for players due to the fact that it has very fast servers located all over the world. Thanks to this, we will not feel the speed drops and increase in ping, which can sometimes accompany the use of VPN while playing online.
2. NordVPN - 8.97 / 10
- the best price-performance ratio
- 42 servers with free IP in Warsaw
- 4700+ servers in 60 countries
- use on 6 devices at the same time
- good connection speed
- 30-day money back guarantee
- total lack of logs
- great privacy protection
NordVPN is a VPN service that has the best options in relation to the price. If the price is the key criterion for the reader when choosing a service, then NordVPN is second to none. Fast and numerous servers work well for computer games.
3. CyberGhost - 8.96 / 10
- 2400+ VPN servers
- VPN servers in 60 countries
- 69 free VPN servers
- 5 devices at the same time
- 30-day money back guarantee
- 24/7 support
- no logs
Cyberghost is a relatively universal service provider that offers a good price / performance ratio. It works well in the needs of players and people interested in e-sport.
What is most important when choosing a VPN for games?
There are several important factors to pay attention to when choosing the best VPN for games.
- speed and stability of the connection
- medium pings
- geographical location of VPN servers
- available VPN protocols
Undoubtedly the most important factor to pay attention to is the connection speed . This is the key value that people looking for VPN for games should pay attention to. The low speed of the service or its large jumps will directly translate into high ping and lag in the game . They can be quite annoying and even impossible to entertain, which is why we should first of all be guided by the speed of the service by selecting it.
The geographical location of the VPN servers that we will use will also affect the speed and average ping. Here the rule is simple - the further the server is geographically located, the longer the route must go through the data, and thus - the ping increases. If we do not use the VPN to unlock the game via foreign servers, the best solution will be to use the free VPN server (provided that we are currently in your country).
The last important issue is the VPN protocol that we will use to connect to the VPN. While in all other situations we recommend using the OpenVPN protocol, in the case of games the PPTP protocol will work best. This is the least secure protocol, which, however, has one very important feature - it is very fast and causes little loss on encryption. If you do not plan to use VPN to protect your privacy and improve your online security, then we can use PPTP when playing online. Another, safer option will be the IKEv2 protocol, which, however, is not available on all systems and devices (we can find it on Windows, Mac and iOS). OpenVPN strongly encrypts the data transmission and we can feel it in the form of lags and high ping (it is worth checking in practice, maybe in your case it will not be a problem).
Why is it worth using VPN for online games?
With the help of VPN players can achieve various benefits that directly translate into the game. What? About this below.
If we start to treat e-sport seriously, then we must be aware that sooner or later we may fall victim to DDoS attacks . These are attacks that are often met by popular streamers or professional players. DDoS or distributed denial of service is able to effectively block almost any network.
We can become a victim of a DDoS attack when our IP address is leaked to the network . This can happen in various ways, but for the most popular players:
- Skype - in recent years, the Skype application was the main source for acquiring players' IP addresses. It was enough to know the user's name, and with the help of websites commonly referred to as "Skype Resolver", it was possible to obtain the IP address of persons using a specific login. Despite the bugfixed by Microsoft , in 2017 again this opportunity appeared. In spite of fixing most of the errors, the practiced person will still be able to get to know the user's IP address during a voice or video call. Therefore, for peace of mind, it is better to put on applications such as Discord for communication.
- Team Speak - as in the case of Skype, it is possible to know the IP addresses of the callers with TS.
- The IP address displayed in the game , and thus on the stream. Some games (especially older ones) tend to display the player's IP address when connecting to servers. If during this time we run stream, everyone can get to know it. When this situation occurs, it is worth covering this place on the screen.
- Disclosure of the IP address by the server administrator - if we encounter a malicious server administrator, it may happen that our IP address will be revealed to a wider audience.
- Clicking the link . The easiest technique to obtain an IP address is sending all possible places - via messengers, social networks, e-mail or chat on stream - a specially crafted link, which after clicking by the victim will save its IP address in the attacker's database. Therefore, beware of suspicious addresses and DO NOT CLICK them if you play or run stream and do not want to become a victim of a DDoS attack in a moment.
Before some of these problems, the VPN will be allowed to be secured. Thanks to the fact that the VPN allows you to hide our real IP address, even in the case of its leak, we will be able to quickly connect to and use another server. Also, the infrastructure of the best VPN providers includes protection against DDoS attacks and may be better off than our home network.
Access to unavailable or blocked games
In some countries, some games are not available in stores and on digital distribution platforms. Censorship, access restrictions, licensing conditions - there are various reasons for this. The regulations of some states and the censorship bodies operating in them do not allow the sale of certain productions. Thanks to the fact that the VPN allows you to change the country through which we connect to the network, we will be able to bypass such restrictions.
It also happens that the player's IP can be banned or blocked on game servers. Then the VPN can help to bypass these types of blockades and restore the game.
Activation via VPN
VPN is sometimes the only way to activate a game that is assigned to another country. For example, if we receive a gift in the form of a game key from a family or a friend from another country, it may happen that we will not be able to activate it without changing the IP address . Then activation via VPN will be helpful. With the help of VPN, we can easily connect to the network via a country where you can activate the game and bypass any restrictions.
VPN can also be the only salvation when we want to buy a game in the original > , in a situation where in our country the distributor allowed only a localized version to be sold, for example only with free dialogues and dubbing.
Buying games at a better price thanks to VPN
The prices of computer games can have very big differences in price, depending on the country in which we make the purchase. Some stores are in the habit of converting the price in dollars and euros in a ratio of 1: 1, which with quite a large difference in their exchange rate can give a lot of savings when paying USD. Thanks to the fact that the VPN allows you to change the IP, and thus the virtual change of the country in which we are, we can be able to save a lot when buying computer games.
VPN and lag and high ping in online games
Can VPN help reduce lags in the game? Yes and no. It depends on the situation . VPN is able to stabilize network connection in certain situations and reduce packet loss. However, not always. If you just have a slow connection, the VPN will not be too much - you have to think about changing the Internet provider first.
If your network provider limits the bandwidth of the network when accessing certain services - in our case they will be game servers - this VPN will help in this, because it will hide all your network activity. Also, if local servers are heavily loaded and slow, and foreign access requires IP change, then VPN can be helpful in reducing lags.
You must be aware, however, that in the final analysis the VPN can lower the speed and increase ping. It all depends on the specific situation and the selected supplier.